05 Apr Baby-Proofing Home & Are You Expecting? Be Sure to Baby-Proof Your Home Insurance
Prep your home for the upcoming arrival of your little bundle of joy.
If you’re a parent-to-be, you’re in for an exciting time of life. Expecting the stork at any minute means that your life will change drastically. From 3 a.m. feedings to triple-tasking, to watching the child’s college fund grow along with them, your child will rapidly become your first priority.
So that your child doesn’t face daily household dangers, put these tips into practice before bringing the little one home:
- Keep long strings and cords tied up and out of reach.
- Search your house for small items that can cause choking: dropped coins, buttons, flower petals, and trash.
- Use anti-scald devices for faucets and showerheads. Lower your water settings and always test the water before dipping your baby in.
- Install corner and edge bumpers for tables and other furniture to help prevent injuries from falls.
- Add baby gates to rooms which may be dangerous for children (think basements, utility rooms) as well as at the top and the bottom of stairs.
- Household plants can be toxic if ingested. Lift plants up from the floor and place them on a high shelf or ledge.
- Replace all sockets with childproof sockets.
- Remove all mousetraps in your home.
- Anchor heavy furniture and appliances that could fall on young children.
- Ensure that the baby monitor is working!
Before your bundle of joy arrives, take a moment to review your insurance coverages. Your homeowners insurance should be up to date with all of your new baby purchases, and your life insurance should ensure that your growing family has protection should you pass.