07 Dec Don’t Let Your Holiday Go Up In Flames With These Safety Tips
Knowing what threats to watch out for this holiday season will help to keep your home protected.
With the holidays right around the corner, right now is the perfect time to put up the rest of your decorations to add some holiday cheer to your home. To ensure your holidays don’t end in disaster, keep these fire prevention tips in mind.
Cooking is the number one cause of home fires during the holidays. Never leave your food unattended to help prevent a fire. Keep a fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fires in your kitchen and make sure a few of your family members know how to use it.
When lighting candles:
Consider using flameless candles to help light up your house. If you are using real candles, allow for at least one foot of space between the candle and any flammable items. Keep the candle on a stable, flat surface. Do not allow children to play around candles.
For your Christmas tree:
An entire tree can go up in flames in less than 30 seconds. Following the right tree safety precautions, including keeping your tree well watered and placing it a safe distance away from all heat sources.
When putting up lights:
Check the string of lights for any signs of damage, such as cracked or frayed wires or broken sockets. Only use extension cords if they are in good condition and rated for either indoor or outdoor use. When hanging lights up outside, never use staples or nails since they can damage the wiring and increase the chances of a fire starting.
Knowing that you are protected with the right homeowners insurance policy will give you the peace of mind that you deserve this holiday season. Contact the insurance professionals at North Central Insurance in Elk River, Minnesota for all of your home insurance coverage needs.