27 Jun Homemade Hummus for Summer Snacking!
Hummus isn’t hard – here’s how to make the perfect summer dip.
Summer is almost upon us in Elk River, Minnesota, and many homeowners are prepping for their backyard party! For your summer party or for daily snacking, hummus is certainly a healthy option. Not only does it fill you up, but it’s packed with goodies that will leave you feeling satisfied and happy!
With this hummus recipe, you’ll have your guests asking for more! Whip up this one today!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), well stirred
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- Pita bread and/or vegetable sticks, for serving
- Put the chickpeas in a strainer and pick through to remove any small stones; rinse well.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl and add 8 cups water; stir in the baking soda. Set aside to soak at room temperature, at least 12 hours and up to 1 day.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse well. Transfer to a large pot and add 10 cups water; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chickpeas are very soft, skimming off any foam from the surface, about 45 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the chickpeas and rinse under cold water. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. With the machine running, add the tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and the reserved cooking water; puree until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with pita bread and/or vegetables. To store, cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 days.
The insurance experts at North Central Insurance Agency hope that you enjoy making and delighting in this recipe! Before you kick off summer with your house party, be sure to secure your necessary coverages with us. Serving homeowners in Elk River, Minnesota, we can provide the best policy to suit your needs and budget.