21 Dec Keeping Your Personal Information Safe This Holiday Season
Use these tips to avoid identity theft through the holiday season.
With only a few more days until the end of the holiday shopping season, you may be scrambling to find the last few items on your list. To help keep your identity and bank account safe this season, keep these credit card safety tips in mind while shopping online.
- Don’t use your debit card – if someone gets a hold of your debit card information, they will be able to take money straight out of your bank account, and it can be very difficult to get that money back once it is gone.
- Use only one credit card – using only one credit card will help to make it much easier to keep track of your purchases. When you get your statement at the end of each month, take a close look at all the purchases to ensure there is nothing strange.
- Update your software – having the most up to date security software will make it much more difficult for hackers to gain access to your information. If you have not already, set your computer to automatically update whenever there are updates available.
- Avoid contests – clicking on the pop-up ads that promise a grand prize will most likely download a virus onto your computer.
- Only shop on secure sites – only enter your financial information on websites that are secure. Secure websites have an “s” after the “http” at the beginning of the address.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi – public Wi-Fi is much easier to hack into. Identity thieves can easily track what information you are entering into a public Wi-Fi and can steal your personal information without you every knowing.
Checking all of your insurance policies, this season will help to make sure that you have the right amount of protection in case of any unfortunate situation. Contact the independent insurance professionals at North Central Insurance in Elk River, Minnesota for all of your insurance coverage needs.