Carbon Monoxide Basics

Carbon monoxide is very dangerous. With no color or smell, it can be very hard to detect, leading to serious safety issues in your home. If you do not have a carbon monoxide alarm installed in your home, you may never know if there is carbon monoxide in your house before it is too late.

When installing carbon monoxide alarms in your house, make sure to place an alarm on every level of your house. There should also be an alarm close to every sleeping area in your home. Keep all carbon monoxide alarms at least 15 feet away from any potential sources of the gas to help prevent the chances of a false alarm. Check all of your alarms at least once a month to ensure that they are working properly. If you find an alarm that is not working properly, replace the batteries or replace the entire alarm.

Carbon monoxide can come from many different places in your house. Some of the most common sources of carbon monoxide include gas fueled water heater, fireplace, generators, gas stoves, furnaces, and attached garages. Hiring a professional to regularly check and clean your furnace and fireplace will help to keep your family safe.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be very hard to diagnose, since the symptoms are the same as other illnesses. Some of the most common symptoms include headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, and shortness of breath. If anyone in your family is presenting these symptoms, even if an alarm has not sounded, move outside in an open area, and call for help.

Having the right homeowners insurance policy can help to ensure that safety of your home and family. Contact the insurance experts at North Central Insurance in Elk River, Minnesota for all of your home insurance coverage needs.